SeeStan ChapLee

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

She, Armida (21)

Armida (tells that she) had a dream in which her (fictional) mother warned her: "Flee! The tyrant is planning to kill you!"

[50: 53]

Temea, lassa, la morte, e non havea
(Chi 'l crederia?) poi di fuggirla ardire;
E scoprire la temenza ancor temea,
Per non affrettar l'hora al mio morire.
Così inquïeta e torbida trahea
La vita in un continuo martìre,
In guisa d'huom che l'empio ferro attenda
Su 'l collo, e morto sembri anzi che scenda.

"Poor me! I feared death, but -- would you believe? -- I didn't dare flee it. I even feared talking to anybody about my fears, since this might anticipate death. So, I dragged my anxious, gloomy life in a never-ending torture, like someone waiting for the cruel blade to fall onto their necks, and already looking dead before it does."


Notes
The nth proof that the fantasy genre is not an 'escape from reality' at all, but a deep insight into the dynamics of life. This psychological description by Armida is tragically true, as it happened, for example, to Jews throughout Europe when they perceived they would soon be chased by the Nazis and their allies.