SeeStan ChapLee

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Brothers in arms (2)

[5: 80, Eustace speaks]

Ah, non sia ver, per Dio, che si ridica
In Francia, o dove in pregio è cortesia,
Che si fugga da noi rischio o fatica
Per cagion così giusta e così pia.
Io, per me, qui depongo elmo e lorica,
Qui mi scingo la spada, e più non fia
Ch'adopri indegnamente arme e destiero
O 'l nome usurpi mai di cavaliero.

"Ha, by God, may it never happen that in France, or wherever Courtesy is valued, they say we are fleeing from risks or toils for such a just and holy enterprise! As far as I am concerned, I would rather lay down both helm and armor, and renounce the sword, e never again will I unworthily employ my arms and horse, or usurp the title of Knight!"

"Between the Sublime and the Ridiculous, there is just one step," according to a French saying. In over-stressing the values of chivalry, Eustace already paves the way to Don Quijote.