SeeStan ChapLee

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Guest: the Werewolf


From: CS Lewis' Prince Caspian (The Chronicles of Narnia)

The quote: "I'm hunger. I'm thirst. Where I bite, I hold till I die, and even after death they must cut out my mouthful from my enemy's body, and bury it with me. I can fast a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred nights on the ice and not freeze. I can drink a river of blood and not burst. Show me your enemies."

Genres: Lewis was greatly skilled for horror, though he had to restrain himself in this -- as well as in sexual themes -- in the Chronicles of Narnia. His novel Perelandra includes some of the best horror scenes of Western literature, imho. And indeed, some of the words of the Werewolf quoted here above may well apply to 'the thing once known as' Prof. Weston in Perelandra.